Flipped learning to me always seemed a way to remove the teacher from the students. To be honest, I wasn't a fan of this teaching method! After this class, I have started thinking differently about flipped learning.
Instead of removing the teacher from the learning experience, flipped learning actually individualizes instruction because it gives the students more one-on-one time with the teacher or their peers. By taking direct teaching time and moving it to homework, it frees up time for activities which foster deeper connection to content and more time to develop critical thinking. As I developed this flipped learning lesson, I picked a topic that students usually have trouble mastering. Division with area models is often a topic that students and parents need a lot of practice with! I thought this would be a great unit to assign interactive videos through EdPuzzle. This will encourage family members to learn with their student, and open up class time to work collaboratively to formulate a deep understanding of solving division with area models.

Comments
Post a Comment